Gary Williams’ Keys to Thrive in Trials
Back in 2009 we suffered mightily due to the recession. Some of the best lessons of my life of faith we’re learned from that year. I looked back and saw exactly how God used those lessons to help me and others.
The invaluable lessons I learned came directly from my time in prayer and notes from my journal.
I wrote a course called “How To Get Through Difficult Times”. I keep those key points in front of me daily as I struggle the problems of COVID. I look forward to seeing how God will use my time with Him through COVID. Here are some of the points I learned from the 2008-9 recession:
Keys to Thrive in Trials | Lessons from the ’08-09 Recession
1. Know that Pain Is Part of Life and Has a Purpose
- Our purpose is Jesus’ purpose. See with spiritual eyes.
- John 16:33 – “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace in the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
2. Cry Out To God for Help – Put it In God’s Hand’s
- Consider the spiritual equation. Don’t’ worry. Focus on problem solving. Prepare an emergency plan.
- Ps 119:147 – I rise before dawn and cry for help
- Luke 11:8 – because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs
- Luke 18:1 – We ought to pray at all times and not lose heart 7 – will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them?
3. Purify Yourself
- Ps 5:12 –For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord, You surround with favor as with a shield
- Ps 37:18, 19 – …the blameless … their inheritance will be forever … and in the days of famine they will have abundance
- Psalm 112:6 – The righteous will be remembered forever. 7He will not fear evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
4. Meditate on His Promises in Response to Life’s Battles
- Psalm 1:2,3 – My delight is in Your law let me mediate on it day and night (if I do I will be like) a tree firmly planted by streams of water which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers
- Ps 4:4b – Meditate in your heart upon your bed and be still
- One promise – Psalm 37:4 – Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart.
5. Remember The Past
- Deuteronomy 7:18 – you shall not be afraid of them; you shall well remember what the Lord your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt:
- Joshua 4:7 – So these stones shall become a memorial to the sons of Israel forever.” – write it down on a list
6. Keep Serving – Help Others
- II Cor. 1:3, 4 – Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
7. Wait On the Lord
- Proverbs 20:22 – Do not say, “I will repay evil”; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you.
- Ps 27:14 – Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage, yes, wait for the Lord
8. Remember the Ultimate Future – Heaven
- Life is more than this [temporal] life. Eternity is set before us. Our rewards await there.
- Mark 8:35 – For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospels will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul
- Luke 10:20 – …rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven
- John 5:24 – he who hears My Word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life
Thank you God, for loving me and always being with me, Amen
Thank you God, for loving me and always being with me
Gary Williams | Senior Advisor
“Here to Serve”